Sunday, March 23, 2008

Survivng a week at sea...

So the cruise was fun. I did not eat as badly as i thought- being vegetarian has its perks that way. But b-fast and lunch were pretty emdiocre so I was definately not getting all the calories I needed. I did a TON of walking around where we stopped. Like 6-10 miles a day which, being from Houston, is like marathon-esque numbers.

The gym was fun because of 1) the concept 2 rower & 2) the sauna. I hit both every day. Either HIIT training on the rower at max resistance, tabata sets, or 20 min endurance with 3 min medium pace, 1 min strong pace, 1 min max effort at level 6 resistance. I did one day of pressing ladders with the dumbells-they felt weird. Definately different than the KB. I did some body wieght stuff here and there but nothing too serious. People DO look at you like a mutant from planet X when you start doing burpees in a gymn- also being covered in tattoos, shirtless, and rowing like a possessed mad-man while silently mouthing very fast and angry songs to yourself probably doesnt help either. Everyone else in the gym was on vacation- I was on a mission. I only worked out 3 days this week but I did 5 days in the sauna- the sauna is bad ass and I want one now.

Tomorrow it is back to the bells and I AM READY! I am going to take it slow on my back and see what happens but regardless- it is good to be home and back to my favorite toys and places to work out.

Asa side note- I have decided that I really, really do not like traditional gyms or in fact, most of the people who inhabit them. I think it comes from not being a very jock type of guy as a kid. Not being a huge slab of beef, to this day, still brings back that feeling of being mean-mugged and measured short by dudes with no necks who do not shake me in the least- at least that's my conclusion of the moment. I also do not like how there are mirrors everywhere. I am in the gym for self-destruction and via that self-destruction- hopefully some elightenment about myself. I am not trying to get some "Swole delts" or some "ripped-bis". I could give a FUCK less. That's what my anti-gym diatribe boils down to and as one of my only options on the ship, I sucked it up and got it done.

1 comment:

leslie said...

Welcome home!

Didn't realize you're vegetarian. Me too!

I've done Crossfit-ish workouts in a cruise ship gym, and although I wasn't tattooed or shirtless, I definitely got lots of strange looks.

Dittos on the traditional gym. We keep our membership cuz it's so cheap, plus my husband likes to get on the treadmill in winter while watching football. But me? I'll stick with running outside and kettlebells inside, with a little dose of boxing camp to keep me in shape and sane.