Monday, July 28, 2008

RKC & Me?

soooo, I'm the kind of guy that when I get into something I really like, I really get into it. That has been the case with KB's since I found them 2.5 years ago.

I have been considering the RKC since I heard about it when I started. I thought I would never be able to achieve what was necessary to be certified. The course requirements terrified me.

A good friend, the one and only Jenn B, is going to the RKC in October and that got me to really thinking- can I do it?

I went to the Dragon Door page today and looked over the requirements for men again. The weight class that I am in is the 148lb class (I am 2lbs under the 154lb class). That would mean I would ahve to snatch the 24KG 38 times for the snatch test (15 on one side 13 on the other?) and that I would have to use 2 16KG bells for the grad workout.

Now the grad workout doesnt scare me so much- 2 16KG bells is really a whatever. I'm sure it's terrible and will have me cursing my mother having bore me into the world BUT I know I can do it.

The snatch test, however, I cannot do as of today. With training, yes, I could. 38 snatches isnt the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard number wise even though snatching the 24KG I can do about 12-15 snatches without stopping. Like I said, it would take some serious practice but doing snatch ladders every day for 2 weeks and then going for #ers all out would get me there.

What I cannot do is the pressing work with the 24KG. I cannot press the 24KG for reps of 5 multiple times. I cannot sots press. I cannot bent press. More importantly, I do not think I could learn to do those things before October. Not to mention the all important fact that there is no way in hell that I could afford to do the certification.

Then agian my job is fickle. Sometimes I make no $ and soemtimes from out of nowhere a huge check shows up. If a huge check shows up or I win the lottery or something else very unlikely to occur- I want to go to the RKC Oct cert. UGH!

Either way, I'm comming for you RKC and though I may be slight in size, I will conquer you.

2 comments:

Chris J said...

Just wait until I can afford it too next year, and we can scare them all. :)

I've wanted to do it too, since I learned about Kettlebells in Jan 07. I think that the RKC is the ultimate test.

I'm hoping to do the AOS cert in the spring, and the RKC next fall. So I'll only be a year behind Jen on it.

Fitgirl-ATX said...

WHOOHOOO Anthony! I'm still planning to do the RKC, but after AOS. I like the bootcamp style structure and the intense curriculum of the RKC. Originally, I'd planned to go Oct 2007, but decided it wasn't for me at that point in time. It's still a strong credential, you'll get to meet Pavel, and learn from some of the best KB instructors. RKC is a different type of journey than AoS (IMO). Both excellent in different ways.
Best of luck getting yourself ready! Maybe we can plan to go together. I was hoping to attend at the same time as Jen B, but she's going for it faster than I can.