Friday, May 16, 2008

What a workout..!

So in training for out next test and to improve on it (push ups, pull ups, burpees, sit ups), we have focusing on different types of workouts this week and will continue to for the next 2 months.

Yesterday I designed a workout that went
single floor press w/ 24KG 10-9-8....-1 (total of 65 reps a side)
pull up ladder 1-5/5-1
windmills
5 C&P ladder's w/ 5 rungs each.

Let me tell you something. HA! This didn't even KIND of happen. I grossly underestimated that floor press routine. It fucked me up! It fucked all of us up.

We got through it and moved to pull ups. They were much harder after that but i got through my 1-5 ladder great with no spots needed. Then the group decided to do the 5-1 ladder as underhanded pull ups where bicep is worked more. These are easy for me. I did them no problem but when I got to my 1 rep, Justin did his 1 rep with the 40lb vest. It looked hard. Me being a guy, I had to try it. I put on the vest and it has NEVER felt so heavy. I was thinking maybe this wasn't a good idea when i jumped and grabbed the bar. I banged out 2 reps with the 40lb x-vest. No spot or assist needed. I think I could have done more but I was so amazed at what was happening that after I did 2, I just sort of stopped! HA! Again, underhanded pull ups much easier. I don't know if I could have done that overhanded.

After that we were done. There were no C&P ladders. My entire upper body was swollen and dead. I did do a few rounds of core exercise that go bell into the ground handle first. Hands on the bell in a push up position, balance, lift one leg for 5 count, lift other leg for 5 count. Repeat. Then rest. I did 4 or 5 sets of those. They are challenging.

I will be VERY sore tomorrow (i usually take 32hrs to get really sore).

On the one hand this workout felt great. It was challenging and the only way to get your pull up #ers up are to do more pull ups. However, I still feel like I cheated myself somehow. I didn't leave anything on the field. I pushed myself. I think that I feel that way b/c this workout in particular, and what we will be doing for the next few weeks, is so different than what we have been doing... if that makes any sense.

I am off to Vegas for work tomorrow. I will be back late Wed nite. I am going to do some hotel room workouts a-la-Anthony D, using towel like rope-gone-wild, deck squats to burpees, and maybe actually get into the fitness center at the hotel despite my HATRED for gyms.

Holler.

No comments: