Thursday, April 16, 2009

My plunge into the MaxV02 Snatch Workout

So everyone is talking about this protocol. It showed up about a year or so ago as the brain child of Kenneth Jay, Sr. RCK. It caught on, quick. I *tried* it a few times but I did a bastardized version of it b/c I was too lazy to do the base line test and I didn't have gym boss to keep me my intervals exactly timed.
I wont try and explain what MaxV02 is (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html)or how the MaxV02 protocol works, b/c I can't. if you've been living under a fitness rock for a year go here - http://www.dragondoor.com/dv049.html - to see KJ's new book on it. Even despite all the usual DD hype-selling, it WILL fuck you up and remake you.

I decided to give it a try again when someone on the DD forum put up this link to MP3 files he made mimicking the cadences for the 15/15 protocol (that's 15 seconds on 15 seconds off). He has diff cadences too, 5 reps in the 15 secs up to 8 reps in the 15 secs.

I DL'd all the files (they are FREE. GET THEM BEFORE THEY DISAPPEAR!) and tried the 15/15 6 rep version yesterday. The whole drill takes 39min and change and goes for 80 rounds. I got through 42 rounds before I tapped out. I *probably* could have done 5-8 more but my left side was getting a little wonky and i have awesome tears in both palms that happened around rounds 20 or 21. I was starting to have a hard time pushing through the tears 20 rounds later.

I was sweating like a whore in church by the time I was done but I felt great. Then 3 hours later I felt like I had run a marathon. I was just zapped. I LOVE it. It's replacing one of my AoS days during the week. I alternate out whatever AoS drill I don't do one week for another I do the next. I cannot wait to tackle this bad boy again, this time with proper hand care to see how far I can get.

Also, the MP3 cadences REALLY do help. Download them. Go here for it.... http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/134079-vwc-mvo2-mp3-timers.html

Seriously download them.

2 comments:

Chris J said...

I was talking to Sandy S about this. since I've always failed at ETK (never seem to finish, much to my shame), we think it would best to finish etk before moving on.

My biggest issue has always been time + motivation.

Chris J said...

bah hit publish too soon.

I think your review has been the best one I've seen so far. what weight did you use to do the protocol?

I'm going to grab the mp3s now, but probably won't use them until after I get through etk.