Thursday, January 15, 2009

I met the devil today...

...and his name is Flurpies. That's right. U read that correctly. A flurpie is a tire flip and a burpie. It requires two people. One person flips the tire and when it goes over they hit the deck and do a burpie. While that person is doing the burpie the other person is flipping the tire back to them. When the rhythm is correctly achieved there is really no break in this. Jonathan met me early this afternoon at my house and we got down with the 550lb tire. GODDAMN I AM OUT OF SHAPE! This workout destroyed me causing me to vomit everywhere at the end.

We did about 5 flips each warming up. Then we did a warm up set of 5 flurpies- it was a warm up set in that it was at a leisurely pace. Then we got serious.

5 sets of 5 flurpies with about 90 seconds in between rounds.

As I looked back and thought about it while my lungs were on fire and I was laying in the middle of the street, trying to catch my breath, not have a coughing fit AND not throw up again - it came to me. Jonathan pushed me harder than I would have pushed myself. When we were doing the tire all the time I would usually only do sets of 3 unless we were doing a max-rep-in-3-min-drill. Anytime we were using tire for any kind of set work, I would do 3 flips. Today I was doing sets of 5. Not counting the 10 I did as a warm up. I did a total of 35-36 tire flips today. And it's my second day back. But still, I am out of shape.

BUT that's ok. I have a 6 week plan I have worked up starting this week. This week is my entry week into the plan. The next 5 weeks will be DISGUSTING. 4-5 days on. On weeks where I do 4 days, 2 will be heavy/hard (heavy bell complexes, tire flips)and 2 will be light (HOC with BW exercises and bells, BW and sprint days or just jogging). One weeks where I do 5 days on it will be 3 heavy/hard, 2 light. I will also be doing Newport, Firepower or SiM one day a week. At the end of week 6 I am taking a week off to recoup and then get back on it and start with the Olympic lifting. My goal is to get most of it back over the next 6 weeks. Its gonna happen and its going to be TERRIBLE but I cannot wait for the challenge. I'm going to eat it for fucking breakfast.

ALSO on a PR note- I FINALLY figured out the bent press. I did 2 on each side today correctly with the 16KG. They were hard but I got them. Was very humbling to do it with that weight but I did it and loved it. I'm going to start doing them with a vengeance. Jonathan has been doing them a lot lately and I asked him to help me get it down and with his assistance I got my first successful rep after about 7 min of couching and adjusting. Apparently I have been hurting my shoulder while I do it because I haven;t been going LOW enough with my body away from the bell. I get to half way and then try and press it the rest of the way which was equally shoulder ouch-age. Jonathan showed where I was pressing when I should be dropping my body lower off the pivot of my hip and twisting my shoulder on the arm without the bell down and towards my other foot. Once I got that it was on like donkey kong. More bent pressing in future. For now being so excited about it, I think I am going to start GTG with them for a while and really work up a fluidity and tolerance for the movement.

1 comment:

Deanmc said...

Hey Anthony, you're doing some beastly workouts yourself. Glad to hear your back at it after the sickness. I'm trying to train through a pulled glute muscle that happened the day after Christmas. It's slowly getting better but you know how it is when you want to go full out and can't!

Love that video you posted below.

Dean