Thursday, October 1, 2009

Help, Advice etc Wanted

Alright online folks. The RKC is coming up in April and I want to go this time around. I KNOW I am not ready for it and that knowledge comes from my difficulties really conquering the 24KG bell.

My question is, what's the best way to get over it? Should I just use it, no matter how low my work load drops until it stops being heavy? I really am not sure how to tackle this problem.

Have I made progress with it from a year ago? Yes I have.

Am I proficient with it? No I am not.

There is NO WAY I can pass the snatch test with that weight. It isn't a mental thing. It's a physical conditioning thing.

How to I conquer this obstacle.

I need a plan and I am not sure how to construct one.

Thanks.

6 comments:

ATOM ANT said...

Here's what I did for pullups, the principle is the same:
Twice a week I'd do 100 reps by going up the ladder. When I couldn't go past the next rung I'd start back to one and continue until I had around 100 reps. I wrote down each rung and in red the number that didn't complete it's rung. Then added them up.

I did not go to failure. I made sure I recovered enough to where I think I could complete the next rung.

Hope this helps/ Dom

Chris J said...

While I like Dom's idea, I'm thinking along the line what AD says to do in week three of the ETK workbook. Use a weight you're good with for your "general work outs" but practice the snatches with your 24kg bell as a warm up before the real work.

Ryan W said...

One arm swings and high pulls with the 32kg bell.

Tom, Healy, RKC said...

Here is what I was told to do:
Work with the 16 for high volume snatches ( your flaws will appear around the 4th) and use the 24 like this - 5 reps and hold in lockout position for 1 minute. Switch hands and repeat. Do this for 10 sets. You can set the bell down between sets. Then test yourself now and then for progress. You'll do very well up there. The snatches are the easy part of the weekend!

Marc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marc said...

Anthony,

Brett Jones, Master RKC wrote an article on his blog about preparing for and passing the RKC. He has included not only tips, but three workouts that mimic the grind of the RKC weekend. I would also strongly suggest following ETK to become proficient in the six basic movements you will need to know to pass the technique and teaching tests. The there's thre grad workout! Good luck.
http://appliedstrength.blogspot.com/2008/12/going-barefoot-is-good-for-you.html